Anyone who knows me will tell you I’m obsessed with television. Is it my generation? Probably. How can someone my age not be completely enthralled by all the ideas and lives that are circulating on the tube now-a-days? I have realized the top three reasons why I love television as much as I do:
- I love to laugh
- I love adventures
- I love laughing at people making complete asses out of themselves
With that said, this is one of the biggest weeks of my life – of the television year: FALL PREMIERE WEEK! I cannot begin to express to you how exciting all of this is on the home front. So what do we have to look forward to this fall? Here’s what I will be tuning into, and I hope you’ll do the same.
MONDAY: Nothing new has tickled my fancy for this lovely night, however, I will continue to watch these show.
- Weeds (9pm EST on Showtime) is about a stay-at-home mother; Nancy Botwin from suburban California who starts selling weed after her husband dies of a sudden heart attack. The show is in its seventh season, and may I say, it is one of my favorite shows of all time (up there with Dexter and Arrested Development).
- The Big C (9:30pm EST on Showtime) is about Cathy, a woman who finds out she has cancer and decides to deal with it in her own way by not telling her family until the end of the first season. The show is in its second season and stars Laura Linney.
- Glee (8pm EST on FOX). A high school glee club fights for their place in their school. Each character deals with their own issues, but they always come together in song, which I love. No, there is absolutely no consistency in the storyline and characters are randomly dropped, but damn, these kids can sing.
- New Girl (9pm EST on FOX) is about a nerdy girl who moves in with three guys after a breakup with her longtime boyfriend. Zooey Deschanel (Elf, (500) Days of Summer, Failure to Launch, Yes Man, Weeds; if you don’t know who she is, get on it, she’s a great actress and fun to watch) stars in this corky comedy. I watched the pilot online, and I have to tell you, this show looks promising!
- Sons of Anarchy (10pm EST on FX). This show’s fourth season premiered two weeks ago, however it remains on my list of must-watch TV shows. This is not a show I would typically watch, however, the drama of a bike club and the sexy lead, Charlie Hunnam are irresistible and will keep you on the edge of your seat.
- Modern Family (8pm EST on ABC). After the 2011 Emmy Awards aired Sunday night, I think it’s safe to say that everyone adores this show just as much as I do. The writing is fantastic, and everyone can relate to something that happens in this show. Within two years, the show has been nominated for 31 Emmys and won 11, including “Outstanding Comedy Series” two years in a row. All I’m saying is that the show is worth taking a gander, you won’t regret it. If I can get my brother into this show (he’s difficult and doesn’t like watching televisions series; sometimes I don’t know how we’re related) than you will definitely LOVE this show.
- Up All Night (8pm EST on NBC) is about a potty-mouthed couple who gets pregnant and has a child despite the fact that they are not ready to raise a child and are pre-occupied with their lives. Will Arnett (Arrested Development) and Christina Applegate (Married with Children, Anchorman, The Sweetest Thing) have to change their lives completely to raise their child and try to not to embarrass themselves. This show looks promising and the pilot cracked me up because something tells me I will have the same control issues these two have when I have a kid.
- Parks and Recreation (8:30pm EST on NBC) is a show about an overachieving parks and recreation employee, Amy Poehler who strive to be the first female President of the United States, but has a deep love and optimism for the community she works in. Not only is Poehler fantastic in this show, you will love Aziz Ansari, Rahshida Jones, Chris Pratt, Aubrey Plaza, and my very favorite, Nick Offerman who plays the wonderful Ron Swanson. Every episode I laugh to tears.
- The Office (9:00pm EST on NBC). If you haven’t seen or heard of this show, we’re not friends.
- 30 Rock (9:30pm EST on NBC) – REPEATS WILL RUN UNTIL THE WINTER 2012 SEASON PREMIERE DUE TO TINA FEY BEING PREGO. However, I highly recommend watching the reruns if you have not seen this show. Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin make a great comedic couple that will have you giggling to yourself the next day at work.
- Jersey Shore (10pm EST on MTV). Yes, I’m embarrassed to say that I love this show, but I watch it because it makes me feel better about my life, hahahaha. Just kidding. The reality show is fun to watch. Who can resist watching eight 20-something Guidos make fools of themselves wherever they go. This is not a series premiere, but it will continue to play for the next few weeks.
- Saturday Night Live (11:30pm EST on NBC) new season premieres with Alec Baldwin hosting for the sixteenth time. A great cast returns and you can guarantee that not only will they do a fantastic job with the writing and acting, but The Lonely Island will bring you some amazing Digital Shorts.
- Dexter (9pm EST on Showtime on October 2, 2011) is about a serial killer who works for Miami Metro Police Department. Dexter, played by Michael C. Hall (Six Feet Under) is a multilayered character that no one can resist watching. The series will be going into its sixth season and I cannot wait for the premiere. Everyone I have lent the seasons to have been turned on to the show and have joined the Dexter bandwagon. October 2nd is coming soon, so watch the first five seasons to catch up. You won’t regret it.
It’s safe to say, I will be spending a lot of time watching television this fall, but I can’t picture it any other way. Cheers.